Monday, July 3, 2017

Don't call us; we'll call you...

Ever heard that expression?  It seems it usually comes up in showbiz.  Someone auditions for a part in a play or something and the director says "Don't call us; we'll call you."

It occurs to me that this phrase is useful in other realms.  Like, for instance, when you run into someone who is peddling religion.  I just read about how Joy Anna Duggar Forsyth and her husband, Austin, just returned from a trip to Israel.  What were they doing there, you ask?  Well... they weren't there to do any cherry popping, baby making, or sightseeing.

Austin and Joy went to Israel with an evangelical group.  Their purpose was to "teach Jewish people that Jesus Christ was the Messiah."  Evidently, they circumvent rabbis to get to Jews and try to change their beliefs.

I know that part of being religious involves spreading the faith.  I still think it's in really bad taste to go to someone else's country expressly for the purpose of changing their religious beliefs.  It seems rude and presumptuous to me.  I also don't like it when religious people go door to door and try to proselytize.  Don't call us; we'll call you.

Seriously... the arrogance of this is just astounding.  What makes Christians, especially teenagers like Joy, think they need to "bless" Israel?  I know...  Joy and her ilk have been indoctrinated their whole lives to believe that Christianity is the only true religion.  They don't respect other people's religious convictions.  It wouldn't even occur to them to study it and see if there are any truisms in another belief system.  In fact, I'd be surprised if Joy and Austin even know how to study.

I really think the Duggars and their ilk should leave Israel alone.  Or, barring that, they should try to broaden their own horizons and stop concerning themselves with what other people believe.

Incidentally, I could use this same phrase toward my very persistent cousin, who still seems hellbent on hitting me over the head with his conservative political bullshit.  He keeps demanding that I engage with him over politics.  This morning, he asked me who I'd like to see in office.  If I actually told him, I wonder if he would try to find ways to disparage my choice.  He has nothing to say on my non-political and non-controversial posts.  Why should I believe that he cares who I would want to see in office?  Seems to me, he just wants to convert me to his way of thinking.

Don't call us.  We'll call you.  That should be a mantra against politicians and religious people.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.