Saturday, July 15, 2017

Belinda Carlisle's funny PSA from the 80s...

If you were around in the 80s, you might remember Belinda Carlisle, who was the lead singer of The Go-Go's.  Belinda Carlisle rather famously indulged in drugs back in those days.  Later, she wrote a tell all book about her life that I read and reviewed.

Anyway, yesterday I happened to stumble across this chirpy anti drug PSA she did back in the day...


I have to wonder if Belinda's comments about "looking frightening" and "being sick of drugs" were enough to convince people not to use drugs...

I also wonder about that get up she's wearing.  Who wears that to a fucking beach?  And was she high when she made this PSA?  And was it court ordered or something?  Because she's really not convincing at all.  Belinda Carlisle was well known for her love of cocaine back in the day.  She even writes about it in her memoir, Lips Unsealed.  According to this article from 2011, Carlisle had a 30 year habit and wasn't actually "clean" until 2004.  So it's entirely possible that she was loaded when she made this PSA.

Actually, the second article I linked is pretty interesting because it comes with a video that shows Carlisle pretty sober and intelligent.  She's totally different in that video compared to the PSA I posted above.  


I think this video is worth a view.  She brings up the experience she had in which she says she looked frightening.  

I love watching old PSAs from the 80s... especially the anti-drug ones done by people who clearly were still using drugs.  I remember when Judd Nelson and Burt Reynolds did an anti drug film.  Besides the fact that they were an odd pairing, I know Reynolds continued his love affair with weed for many years beyond the making of that film.  I am less sure about Judd Nelson, although my suspicions are that he continued to enjoy drugs.

The 70s and 80s were a fun time to be growing up.  I miss those days and kooky PSAs by people like Belinda Carlisle.

2 comments:

  1. My parents frequently make references to a PSA Willie Mays made in the late 1960's or very early 70's about explosives and how children should leave them alone.. My dad was really little when it aired. I don't think my mom remembers it. She's just heard my dad recite it from memory so many times that she can recite it herself. The ad was known more for its unintended humor than for any good it might actually have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not familiar with that one, but back in the 70s and 80s, PSAs were everywhere. Some of them were pretty good. And we also had lots of Mormon ads.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.