Saturday, July 1, 2017

Apparently, my cousin thinks I'm an idiot...

A couple of days ago, I shared an article that appeared on a site called Bored Panda.  It was about a woman whose young son has a serious medical problem that will require multiple surgeries.  The mother is afraid that if Donald Trump's healthcare plan passes, health insurance will go back to having lifetime caps on coverage.  Due to the obscenely high costs of getting medical care in the United States, it's likely that the young boy's expenses would meet the cap and his mother would be forced into economic ruin.

Most of my friends are as concerned about Trump's healthcare plans as I am.  But I have many conservative relatives and one or two of them simply cannot restrain themselves from engaging in debates with me.  My cousin... I'll call him Timmy... decided to chime in yesterday.  Just for shits and giggles, here are some screenshots.



A number of people in my family talk to me in this way.  As I get older, I feel a lot less inclined to tolerate it.  My initial response may seem hostile, but that's because this isn't the first time he's pulled this shit and I'm tired of it.

This same cousin opined on another article I posted.  That one was about a mother whose son is a seven year old transgendered female. (And I realize that I'm probably not terming this the right way, but I'm trying to make it clear what the biological gender is.)  The mom is considering putting her son on a hormone treatment that will render him sterile as he transforms into a female.  But that's not the weirdest thing.  The mom is also considering harvesting her eggs so that her biological son can one day have them implanted into a surrogate and have children that are biologically related.

We were having a discussion about this and my cousin chimed in on that one, too.  I mostly ignored him on that one, but finally addressed him.


Why he feels the need to jump in on these conversations, I don't know...

This is one of the main reasons why I am happy to live in Europe for as long as I can.  It's not that I don't love my family, but sometimes I don't like them very much.  I think these exchanges with Timmy reminded me of talking to my dad, who also used to treat me like I don't have any brains.  Also, I'm just plain getting tired of certain political conservatives, especially when they get up on a moral high horse about things.


This is exactly how I feel.  Truly.  It's my fucking theme song.

Also, I hate July.

2 comments:

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.