Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Time to lose a body part...

Well, today is the big day.  I am having one of my baby teeth extracted.  I totally dread it, though I look forward to being past the trauma (and accompanying drama).  I finally decided to get this done because over the past few weeks, the fistula in the gum over the baby tooth has been swelling up like a zit.  It doesn't really hurt and I could easily flatten the bump by pressing on it, but it has refilled a couple of times.  I figure this can't be good for my health.  I'm sick of waking up with a vague toothache and wondering when the baby tooth will fall apart.

Besides, dental implants take a long time to get done and it's time we got started.  I would hate to be halfway through the process and have to suddenly move.  I doubt that will happen anytime soon, but you can never be too sure when you're living the contractor lifestyle.  So since this process will take the better part of a year, it's time to get going.

Bill is being ever awesome.  He's coming home from work early so he can take me to the dentist's office in Stuttgart.  Since I am praying for Valium, it wouldn't be good for me to be wandering about on my own in the big city.  On the other hand, I have a feeling what will be administered won't be that much.  I also have quite the tolerance, not just for alcohol, but for other drugs.  When I used to take antidepressants, I had to take more than the usual dosage.  The doctor who prescribed the drugs said I had an unusually efficient liver.  Joy.

Bill also purchased some straws and is planning to make me homemade soup for dinner.  He made a loaf of bread from scratch the other day, a slice of which I enjoyed for breakfast this morning.  He promised that after the appointment, he'll get me home and put me to bed.  I doubt I'll need to go to bed, but it's nice that he doesn't mind playing nursemaid.  I really got myself a wonderful husband back in 2002.  I am grateful every day.

It does seem a little sad to be losing my 43 year old upper baby tooth.  I'm impressed by how well it's hung in there for so long and even continues to function today.  I dread the big hole I'm about to have in my mouth and the ensuing pain and psychological angst.  But this is something many people go through at some point in their lives...  hell, I had a tooth pulled when I was 16, though that one had a tooth under it, albeit about two teeth over from where it was supposed to be.  At least I don't have wisdom teeth and was spared that kind of oral surgery.  And at least we're now in a situation where all of this is relatively affordable.  There was a time not long ago when the prospect of having to pay for this treatment would have made the stress of having it done that much worse.

After the extraction, I'm guessing my next procedure will be a cleaning and/or a sinus lift.  The cleaning will be fine, though the sinus lift will probably make me even more angsty than I am now.  Everyone I've talked to who has had an implant done has told me I won't regret it.  We'll see.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.