Wednesday, September 23, 2015

There's a hole... in my mouth...


A classic song by The Police, "Hole In My Life".

I guess you could say I have a "hole in my life", now that there's a hole in my mouth.  I'm not in any pain today, though I think there may have been some oozing.  I have a bit of a cough and I slept pretty late this morning.  It's kind of a rainy morning and I'm feeling kind of tired, so I think today will be one of those days where I wear my nightie.  In other words, it won't be much different than any other day.  I'm just not going to wear a bra.

It's hard to think of what happened yesterday as "surgery", but I guess it was.  I wish I had not been conscious for it, even though it wasn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.  After doing some reading, I have learned that my particular situation was kind of unusual.  I had a vertical fracture in the root of a baby tooth and that was what was causing the infection.  Vertical root fractures start in the root, so they are very hard to see and can go unnoticed and untreated for a long time.  I know I've been dealing with my issue for at least a year; it was about this time last year that I noticed bleeding and swelling.  In 2013, I had this same tooth filled when the filling cracked as we were moving from North Carolina to Texas.  For all I know, the root was cracked then.

Apparently, vertical fractures usually happen in teeth that have been root canaled and even then, they tend to be kind of unusual.  None of my teeth have had that particular treatment yet.  Even still, somehow my baby tooth got a vertical root fracture, which from what I've read, are pretty difficult to diagnose and treat.

The funny thing is, I read one article about vertical root fractures and realized that I pretty much had textbook symptoms.  I had a small fistula in the gumline, minimal pain, and the crown of the tooth appeared to be stable.  If I hadn't had the tooth removed, it probably would have eventually split into two.  I don't know how long it would have taken.  I do know that I'm really glad I didn't try to have that tooth restored.  Not only would a root canal have been an unpleasant and extensive procedure, it would have also been very expensive.  And ultimately, it would have been all for naught.

I'm pretty lucky because the tooth that was removed is pretty far back in my mouth, so I can at least still smile and not look like a hillbilly.  Hopefully, this will be the last dental post I write for awhile.  In fact, I'm going to close this post and start a new one...  I just became inspired.  


I was afraid this smile was gone forever, but it doesn't look like it is.  At least not at this point.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.