Saturday, December 6, 2014

How about a middle finger salute?


Sadly, I don't think this is a fake...

I've made it very clear how I feel about the term "dependapotamus", which is basically a disdainful way to describe a military spouse (usually a wife) who sits on her ass and whines about her entitlements.  I think it's a disrespectful way to address spouses, especially since not all women who marry military servicemembers are entitled.  On the other hand, it's pretty sad when I see a civilian wife think that she's entitled to rank or honor when she hasn't worn a uniform.

The woman in the above posting thinks the MPs should salute her.  She thinks that lower ranking servicemembers and their spouses should honor her as if she wore the same uniform her husband wears.  Salutes are not intended for individuals; they are intended for the uniform.  So when a military police officer renders a salute to your husband, it's because of the uniform, not because of the person he is.  And you do not, simply by virtue of being his wife, merit a salute.

Far be it for me to belittle the sacrifices and contributions spouses make to military careers.  And I, for one, am not a big fan of the attitude that spouses who don't have full time jobs are "losers".  The military lifestyle makes it difficult for spouses to maintain a career.  There's little chance I could have done what I was trained to do because of our nomadic lifestyle over the past seven or eight years.  At the same time, I never considered my role as an Army wife a "career".  The Army never paid me and I never had any official responsibilities.  I never wore a uniform.  I certainly never got shot at.  So why would I ask to be saluted?

To the woman who posted the above rant, yes, I will salute you... with my middle finger.  Carry on!

I'm feeling a little less fatigued today, but I'm in the messy part of having a cold.  Got a runny nose, a scratchy throat, and a deep cough.  I'll probably lose my voice at some point.  Just as well that I do, since Bill has to go back to Africa tomorrow.  It'll be me and the dogs until Friday.  



  



4 comments:

  1. Military Spouses do have a hard job and they make a lot of sacrifices. Something else to be said for them -- many of them have to keep the home with a part-time spouse (and I do not mean that the spouse wants to be part time ...but when you as a family have to deal with multiple deployments, the military spouse is the stability on the home front.)

    It is NOT an easy job. It is not a job that everyone would willingly take on.

    There are a lot of things that military spouses deal with -- and one of those is the lack of career opportunities (there might be JOB opportunities, but not career). When you move every two to three years, you're not building up a 401k with a corporation. And when you're filling the role of a single parent, you've got to be available for your kids -- especially as a military spouse.

    Not a spouse -- I'm a BRAT. I respect the heck out of the military spouse, to be honest. You volunteered. And your support keeps our military strong. A military spouse could easily complain and sway the service member not to reenlist.... Or threaten to divorce and take the kids.

    However, I will admit I met many military spouses who felt they'd earned their husband's rank. No.

    The military spouse deserves respect and appreciate. But not a salute.

    (And I am seriously going to have to subscribe to your blog. I like your writing style!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Misty! I have been both a brat and a spouse, but I am probably an atypical member of both groups. Being a military spouse isn't easy for a lot of people, though I have to admit that in my case, it wasn't all that hard. I have no complaints. My husband was only deployed once and we don't have kids together. He's also a great guy who is trustworthy and kind.

      I don't like it when I see people be disrespectful to military spouses as a whole. On the other hand, I also don't like to see spouses take their roles too literally or seriously.

      Delete
  2. do you mind if I add you to my blog list?

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.