Monday, April 7, 2014

Trapper John M.D.

Being a child of the 70s and 80s, I remember with much fondness a lot of TV shows that were on during that time.  One of my favorites was primetime medical drama Trapper John M.D.  The premise of this show was that Trapper John, who had served in Korea with the folks from M*A*S*H, was now a hotshot surgeon at San Francisco Memorial Hospital.  He has a sidekick, hotshot surgeon and hospital Lothario, George Alonzo Gates, aka Gonzo.

The other night, I decided to watch an old episode of Trapper John M.D. on YouTube.  The episode I watched was called "Slim Chance".  It was about a brilliant doctor who decided to cash in his skills on an unsound diet program.  It turned out one of Gonzo's childhood friends was on the diet and had lost a lot of weight, but the regimen was destroying her kidneys and turning her into an erratic mess.

As I was watching the show, I couldn't help but chuckle.  I doubt that show was all that realistic even back in the 70s and 80s, but today it seems positively antiquated.  At one point, Gonzo looks like he's about to molest his friend as she's throwing a fit in the hospital room, about to bust out of there.


Nowadays, I'm sure ol' Gonzo would be slapped with lawsuits aplenty for his vaguely sexual behavior toward his patients…  

I like this show, even if I do think Gonzo is kind of icky.  Maybe if I had a doctor like him, I'd get regular checkups, though...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.