Monday, April 14, 2014

Interesting weekend...

Bill's mom came over last night and we got into a silly argument about classical music.  I will admit, it was partly influenced by all the wine we drank.  Suffice to say, my mother-in-law is a big Vivaldi fan and thinks Brahms is shitty.  I was a bit dismayed by that.  I love Brahms.

While MIL was over, I noticed the pool was abnormally low.  I looked over to where the pump was and there was water spraying all over the place.  Turns out there was a crack in one of the PVC pipes.  Bill has to call to get that fixed and hopefully the property management company doesn't try to screw us.  This must have happened recently, since the pool guy should/would have noticed it.  Actually, I think what might have happened is that there was a small crack all along and it suddenly got bad.  There was water leaking from the pump when we moved in.

MIL spent the night and Zane slept with her.  That dog adores my husband's mother.  Every time she visits, he's all over her like white on rice.  It's kind of nice for us, since when he sleeps with her, I don't have to fight him for foot space.

I spent all yesterday morning learning about a murder in Newport News, Virginia that was especially brutal and violent.  It really made me realize how quickly life can change for people and how crimes affect families.  It also made me realize that people actually read my blog now.

Bill is going to start clearing out of Fort Sam Houston this week and should be on terminal leave by the end of the month.  In the meantime, he is now talking about taking another military hop, which should give me something exciting to write about on my travel blog.

I'm kind of hoping we can hit France or Ireland.  We'll see what happens.  For now, I will try to finish my latest book.  Right now, I'm reading about Carol Burnett.  It's kind of a nice, light-hearted change.




6 comments:

  1. Another trip would be awesome.

    I don't care for Brahms, either. The only romance era composers I really care for are Beethoven and Chopin. I'm a lot more baroque and classical, although I like some composers of the modern classics, including Aaron Copland, Ralph Vaughan Williams, Gustav Holst,and of course George Gershwin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But would you say Brahms' music is shitty? ;-) She said the same about Smetana's "The Moldau". MIL likes sexy music like "Carmen" and "Bolero". She doesn't like Beethoven either.

      I like Chopin. I'm not a big fan of Bach, though.

      I'm really hoping we can manage a trip. Travel keeps me happy.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't say Brahms' music is shitty just because I don't like it.

    I don't care for Bizet or other "sexy" music, either. I can stomach Grieg, but that's as far as sexy music goes for me.

    Bach, on the other hand, is my number one favorite. for me it's a combination of finding the firm sound totally uplifting and of the mathematical precision. The mathematician in me finds the precision very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The precision is probably why I don't like his stuff so much. There are a couple of pieces by him that I think are nice, but Bach's music wouldn't top my favorites in the classical genre.

      I'm reading Carol Burnett's life story right now. Don't remember the title right off hand. I also have a book she wrote about her daughter, Carrie, who died in 2002 of a brain tumor. I remember when Carrie was on "Fame". I was a big fan of that show, though it had really jumped the shark by the time she was on it.

      Delete
  3. What are you reading about Carol Burnett? I've read something by her. I'll have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW… you should have a look at my Dungeon of the Past blog today. I linked to a bizarre article about Richard Marx that I think you'll get a kick out of.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.