Friday, April 4, 2014

I should change the name of this blog to...

The Reluctant Patient.

Sorry…  I know it's boring to talk about your health.  Feel free to skip this post because it's probably going to be TMI for most people.

I have no problems going to the dentist or the optometrist.  I don't like seeing regular doctors, though.  I have a feeling the time may be coming in which I probably ought to see one again.  It's been about four years since I last presented myself to a doctor for what I thought were gallstones.

Actually, I'm pretty damn certain I have gallstones because I really fit the profile… female, forty, fat, and fertile.  And every once in awhile, I get a gnawing, sharp pain in my upper middle quadrant that radiates to between my shoulder blades.  After about fifteen minutes, it usually goes away.  I've been dealing with this for about ten years.

Back in 2010, Bill dragged me by my hair to the doctor at Fort McPherson in Georgia, where they drew blood (surprisingly well, actually-- I didn't feel a thing, nor did I get a bruise like I usually do) and sent me to a local hospital for an ultrasound.  The local hospital in Fayetteville, Georgia was very nice.  It was new and seemed very aimed at comfort for the patient.  I almost felt like I was in a spa.  If I had needed surgery there, I probably would have been as okay with it as I could possibly be under the circumstances.  Bill pretty much made me go to the doctor then-- even made the appointment for me and drove me there.

Anyway, they did the ultrasound and it came back normal, despite the occasional ache I get sometimes.  No one seemed interested in investigating further.  I hadn't been having problems with my gall bladder until recently, when it acted up on Wednesday.  It was bugging me last night, too, but I kept drinking wine anyway.  And then this morning, there was… TMI…  bright red blood in the toilet.

So yeah, this is all probably not good.  I probably should get it checked out.  But, I probably won't.  I really hate seeing doctors.  I go so infrequently that I'm sure there would be a lot of tests and checkups that would be recommended for me.  Given that Bill is still active duty, all my healthcare is pretty much free… at least until he retires.  And even then, at a military treatment facility, it's free… unless you have other insurance they can bill.  We will have to pay for Tricare once he retires; but honestly, if he gets a job with decent benefits, we'll probably take the insurance offered that way.  Did I mention how much I hate military healthcare?  Tricare would be a secondary payer, which would probably mean it would be too much of a pain in the ass for me to file claims.      

I've written about why I hate going to doctors before.  I especially hate visiting military doctors.  It's not that I don't like them as people (with the exception of the one doctor who traumatized me).  I just have a very hard time being a "patient", especially in an authoritarian environment.  My blood pressure shoots up and I become really anxious, which sometimes makes doctors think I have high blood pressure.  Last time that happened, I ended up on an ambulatory blood pressure monitor for twenty-four hours, which proved that I didn't have hypertension…  then, at least.  As for now, who knows?

Anyway, I suspect my issues are pretty minor.  If they persist, maybe I'll break down and go to the doctor.  One nice thing about San Antonio is that it is a very medical city… and there's even a huge military hospital nearby, though I will do my best never to darken its doors.

  

4 comments:

  1. I don't wish to pry, but it was gastrointestinal bleeding, right? Be careful. My mom's best friend, who is something like 50, ignored it and ended up with life-threatening ulcerative colitis. Be cautious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's originating toward the "end of the line", if you know what I mean. If it persists, I will break down and see a doctor. But it looks like a surface wound.

      Delete
  2. Even though it was intestinal, the blood was pretty red in my mom's friend's case, so please be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill says he knows someone who had ulcerative colitis and it was pretty nasty.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.