Saturday, April 19, 2014

Going to get my eyes checked today...

I was due to have an eye exam in January, but still had contacts available and wasn't too keen on finding a new eye doctor.  But now I have one pair of lenses left and need new ones.  We found an optometrist that is open seven days a week, so we're going to go pay a visit today and get my eyes checked and new lenses ordered.  I know this is a pretty mundane thing, but I'm excited.  I like getting new contacts. Of course, I'd rather get my eyes lazered and be done with it.  Damn nearsightedness.

We went to bed early last night because I was feeling bored and wanted to read.  I got tired of watching old episodes of Fear Factor, even though one of last night's episodes involved naked people.  I took a couple of Advil PMs because I wanted to sleep well.  The canker sores in my mouth have made oral hygiene and eating rather painful, but they seem to be healing now, thank God.  Aunt Flow also seems to be making a hasty retreat.  I think Aunt Flow is what caused my canker sores in the first place.  I managed to arrest a cold sore before it became a problem.  Thank God for Abreva.

Once today's business is taken care of, I'll be all set… and ready to think about what's coming next.  I'm trying not to get too excited about the prospect of another move to another city, because it could turn out we don't.  However, it looks like it could happen, and it would probably behoove us to start making plans…  but it's hard to make plans when you don't know where the hell you'll be in a few months.

I think it's a pretty fair bet that the guy in San Francisco who is meeting Bill in New York in a few days will like him fine.  I have a feeling that if all goes well, he will have a job offer.  But then, nothing is a done deal until it's a done deal.  It could also turn out that Bill will meet another manager at this event who will also want him.  Or it could turn out that nobody likes Bill and I'll be back to stressing.

The next couple of years could be exciting, but intense.  Because if Bill gets this job and moves us to Seattle, it could mean he launches an entirely new career in a place where techie stuff is really cutting edge.  And if he does well, it could mean a pretty good life after the initial breaking in period.  The skills he's going to develop are always going to be useful and this career track will only get more challenging.

On the other hand, things could also fall apart.  I don't think they will.  But it's always a possibility.

A year ago, I was so sure we'd be staying in San Antonio.  It seemed like the perfect place for us, since it's military friendly and Bill's mom lives here.  We wanted to move to the Pacific Northwest, but I never thought there was a chance it would actually happen.  I've often thought about how beautiful it is out there, even though the traffic is insane and the housing is expensive.  I guess it's safe to say that I hope this works out… and I hope we are prepared to deal with what's coming up.


This seems appropriate.




4 comments:

  1. Unless a person works for the post office or the DMV or has about twenty years of tenure with a school district, almost anyone's job could fall out from under him or her. You know that of course. and you'll have Bill's pension paycheck as a backup as well. Keep in mind that under the worst of circumstances you could both substitute teach until another regular job came in. (I think the pay is somewhere around $160 here for a 6.5-hour workday, which wouldn't make anyone rich, but when doubled would help to pay the bills.) I believe you continue to receive military health coverage as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we still get Tricare if we want it. We do have to pay for it, but it's much cheaper than regular health insurance is. And we will have Bill's retirement, though for the first couple of years, he has to pay back an incentive they gave him back in the 90s for leaving the service early. Once that's done, his retirement pay will be equivalent to my having a decently paying job. For the first couple of years, it will be less, though.

      Delete
  2. I am laughing at your header, "Just another boring blog about another boring housewife." LOL. I can so relate. Sometimes I feel as if I'll go crazy being cooped up in the house so much! I'm sure things won't go south if your husband moves you guys to Seattle, it'll probably be a wonderful transition. It's such a beautiful place, I love visiting.

    Doris Gibbs @ Moody Eyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we ended up in Germany. Even better.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.