Monday, October 7, 2013

MIL's visit...

Yesterday, Bill was required by his doctor to act like a Mormon again.  Because he has high blood pressure and hyponatremia at the same time, he has chronically low sodium in his blood.  This is kind of a weird thing, since most people who have high blood pressure have to watch their sodium.  Bill has actually been told to salt his food.

Anyway, since we just moved and Bill has a new doctor who is curious about this condition, which Bill shares with his father, he was asked to monitor his urine output for 24 hours.  The doctor didn't want him consuming anything that might affect that process.  That meant Bill was allowed no citrus, no bananas, no coffee, tea, or booze.  He decided to brew beer while he was enduring this test and his mom came over for dinner and to hang out.

We had a good time chatting.  I really like Bill's mom because she's intelligent and open and doesn't judge me for swearing like a sailor.  You can have a talk with her and exchange ideas.  She doesn't have a rigid point of view.

Bill grilled chicken breasts, baked potatoes and asparagus, and drank lots of water while mother-in-law and I drank wine.  Yesterday, the temperature broke a bit, so it wasn't so hot.  We ate outside on the patio.  The wine did a good job of making me forget about my annoying tooth.  By the way, I had Bill go out and get me some Hyland's Teething Tablets.  He and his ex had used them on their daughters and they supposedly worked well.  I can't say they were that great for my tooth issue, but at least my curiosity was satisfied.

It was another nice weekend.  Texas has been a culture shock, but at least we have more to do.

2 comments:

  1. I have to give you credit for even trying Texas. I don't think I could tolerate it enough to give it a stab. Austin's probably the only city that's liberal enough, and even it still has that ungodly Texas weather. I do want to go to San Angelo so I can see Warren Jeffs' compound not far from there as much as visitors can see it. If we had my pseudouncle, I'm sure he could talk his way inside the gates. My parents would have better than a 50/50 shot, but I don't think they would care enough to even give it a try. We did the Dallas thing when i was in 6th grade because we were there on a layover on a flight to Florida, and I had to see Dealey Plaza, the Texas School Book Depository, the grassy knoll, etc., for myself to put it all into proper perspective. After that, I was as done with Dallas as Debbie ever was. (My dad makes frequent reference to that movie, among a few others equally infamous. The first Christmas he and my mom were married, my mom says my dad didn't seem all that thrilled with any of his gifts. She and one of her sisters took one of my late grandfather's t-shirts and scrawled, "I made Linda Lovelace gag" on it with Magic Marker and shoved it into his stocking. When he got to his stocking and opened it, he was enthralled with his new t-shirt and wore it the rest of the day. He then wore it when they visited my dad's family because he knew that no one but his three youngest siblings would get it. My mom's sisters say my mom basically married a youinger version of her own father when she married my dad. They even look a little bit alike. It's too bad the two of them never got to meet. My mom also thinks it's sad that I never got to know him, because she thinks he and I would have enjoyed each other as well.)

    I wish something could magically repair your molar without your spending hours in a dentist's chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Alexis. I have about had it with these tooth issues.

      You might like San Antonio. It's a pretty neat town. But it does get hotter than hell here.

      Your parents sound like such a trip!

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.