Tuesday, October 8, 2013

How not to take on the family court system...



Someone alerted me to the presence of this video, posted in 2010 by Franklin Delano Jeffries II, an Iraq War veteran and beleaguered father whose teenaged daughter wasn't spending time with him.  Apparently, Jeffries wrote and sang a song, posted it on YouTube, and proceeded to get in huge trouble with the law because he threatened a judge's life.

The judge was not amused and Mr. Jeffries was sentenced to 18 months in jail for making those death threats.  But he didn't go quietly.  Jeffries fought his case all the way to the Supreme Court, which declined to hear his final appeal.  His case is now over; though it was significant, since it raised questions as to whether or not threats are protected under the First Amendment.

Having listened to Jeffries' little ditty, I have to say I understand his frustration.  However, what he did was colossally stupid and only proved that his ex wife had reason to keep his daughter from him.  Making death threats to public officials is not exactly the best way to prove one's fitness as a parent.

I don't know if Mr. Jeffries has served his time yet... but I bet he's now sorry he posted that video, even if it was only up for 25 hours.  And his daughter is probably a young adult now anyway.  Wonder what their relationship is like...  

2 comments:

  1. It was cleverly creative in its own way, and I felt his pain, but it was a colossally stupid thing to have done. Bill's daughters should see this and realize how low key and rational their biological father is.

    It does also make me wonder just how many people in my real life have found me and pay attention to what I'm doing. I suspect not a whole lot partly because they're too quiet -- the ones who stir up shit, except for my Mormon relatives who used to post lots of stupid comments but seem mostly to have moved on, are clearly people who don't know me in real life. I alsosuspect not many because it seems to be a very human instinct to think others are giving us a great deal more thought than they actually are. For the most part, I'm a whole lot more important in my own mind than I am to anyone else other than to my parents. Then again, one really never knows.

    I'd never be so dumb as to threaten someone in any public medium. Hell, I probably wouldn't privately threaten someone. It's not my style. If truth were to be told, if I were going to do something nefarious, I'd just do it, not announce it in advance. In reality, though I may have the mind of a criminal to some degree, I do not have the guts to carry out a criminal action, and I wouldn't trust many other people to take my criminal ideas and not screw them up maximally. Hence, I'm destined to live a life on a relatively straight and narrow path. There are worse things than a clean record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was creative enough... but he definitely should have kept it to himself or played it among understanding friends. He really invited a lot of trouble for himself by making it public.

      Bill daughters, unfortunately, seem to have no sense. It's a real shame. They missed out on a wonderful dad.

      There's a lot to be said for keeping your nose clean, Alexis. Being a jailbird is no way to spend your life.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.