Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Fainting...

Yesterday, President Barack Obama "saved" some diabetic pregnant woman as she was about to collapse during his speech.  While I don't want to come out and say that incident was staged, I do think it was a rather strategic event as he was speaking about Obamacare and how it is a good thing for people who need insurance and couldn't get it (or change it) in the past.  I mean, what better way to drive home the point about how important healthcare access is than to have a pregnant diabetic woman standing behind the president as he talks about a new healthcare incentive?  She starts to pass out, alarming the audience, and Obama suddenly turns around at just the right time to "steady her".  He looks good; she's "saved", and suddenly we get why health insurance is so important.

Obama barely touches her; the people behind her probably deserve more credit for "catching her" than Obama does.  And how did he know she was fainting if his back was to her?  How lucky it was that she was standing right behind him, too.

Yeah... I think that incident probably was staged, although I personally am somewhat in favor of the president's healthcare act.  I know why people don't like it.  I know it seems like an infringement on people's rights and, believe me, I am usually a big proponent in individual rights and freedom.  However, I firmly believe that all people need access to affordable healthcare and everyone needs to have some type of insurance in place for when accidents happen.  If you won't voluntarily sign up for it for your own good-- and that of everyone else's who ends up having to pay your bad debts when your sudden medical bills are too much to handle-- then perhaps there should be a law that forces you to sign up.    

People like the young diabetic, pregnant woman standing behind President Obama do need access to healthcare that they are able to pay for.  So does the baby she is carrying.  What would you have her do?  Not treat her illness and end up collapsed in the street somewhere?  Then she'll be carted off to a hospital in worse shape than she might have been had she been able to get to a doctor on a regular basis.  Emergency rooms and ambulances are notoriously the most expensive places to get medical treatment, but that's where so many people go when they aren't insured.  And when they don't pay their bills, those expenses are added to the tabs of those who CAN pay.

It will be some time before the kinks in this system are ironed out.  It may not happen in my lifetime.  But I do think that it's time the United States did something about its outrageously expensive healthcare system that treats poor people and sticks it to those who have insurance or the means to pay.  Healthcare in Europe is not free, but you won't end up in the poorhouse after a couple of days in the hospital there.  Yeah, you'll pay more taxes and that sucks... but you also get more time off to enjoy your life.  Europeans seem to value life outside of work a lot more than Americans do.

The more I think about it, the more I think my ancestors never should have left Europe...  Europe does have its problems, but I think I'm much more suited to life over there.

As to the title of this post, I was going to comment on the number of times I have fainted in my lifetime...  It's happened to me a lot of times.  I seem to have a sensitive vasovagal reflex, which causes me to pass out when it gets overstimulated.  I have fainted from not eating, swallowing something too hard to the point that it hurts, mashing my fingers in a door, cutting my finger with a knife, and having some twit with a hypodermic needle trying to find my veins.  I have also fainted while taking a painful dump.  I actually wrote an article about defecation syncope on Yahoo! Voices... It was a surprisingly popular article.  Apparently, that's one of those medical conditions that many people experience, but few people ever write about.

I almost fainted once while showing a pony at a horse show.  It was very hot outside and I was dressed in horse show attire... breeches, boots, a wool jacket, and a black velvet hunt cap.  I was dehydrated because my mom wasn't around to make sure I drank water (I was about ten years old).  Thankfully, it was a fitting and showmanship class, which meant that I was dismounted.  As we lined up for judging, I started to stagger and got very pale.  My riding teacher got me out of the ring and gave me lots of water.  I was fine twenty minutes later.

I have also fainted after having the wind knocked out of me.  That has happened more times than I can count.  And one time, I fainted at the Olive Garden when I got a sudden serious stomachache.  It was hot that day, too.  There's no telling what prompted the stomachache, but next thing I knew, I was coming to on the floor and someone was yelling that I must be an epileptic (I'm not).      

I'm always bewildered after I faint.  It's like waking up from a very deep sleep, except instead of feeling refreshed, you feel weak and kind of sick.  I usually feel like shit after I faint.  It hasn't happened in public too many times, but the times it has, it's been embarrassing.  I'm guessing that lady who got "lightheaded" is glad she didn't actually faint in public.

Anyway, it's good that Obama was there to "catch" that lady standing behind him.  I have every confidence that incident was totally staged, but it does drive home an important point that a lot of people may not think about.  If you were a young, pregnant, diabetic woman, wouldn't you hope for decent medical care that was affordable and accessible?  Yes, if you're young and healthy, it's liable to cost more to get less coverage.  But not every young person is healthy and sometimes they can't help being in that situation.  Shouldn't they be able to pay their bills too?



4 comments:

  1. The forces that control such things do not want this comment to be posted, so I'll attempt for the fourth time with a briefer message. Defecation syncope is a brand new term for me. I'll have to run it by my parents in the morning.

    My mom's fainting history is probably not too far from yours. She has vasovagal issues and swallowing issues, and has a tendency to develop Shiatski rings, which make swallowing difficult and sometimes cause foor to get trapped very painfully.

    I've only fainted four times in my life that I can think of. my brother, poor guy, has fainted more times than I have, and I have a much more interesting medical history otherwise than he does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... this is the article I wrote several years ago. When I wrote it, I got a lot of comments, but then Associated Content became Yahoo! Voices and a lot of the comments on my articles disappeared.

      http://voices.yahoo.com/defecation-syncope-potential-holiday-4999572.html?cat=5

      Basically, people faint while on the toilet for the same reason they faint after swallowing too hard or mashing the hell out of their fingers.

      Delete
  2. As much of a superhero as I sometimes find Mr. President to be (catching flies with his bare hands, etc.) I'm not entirely certain I can swallow the coincidental nature of the pregnant diabetic's lightheadedness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I'm sure some brilliant speechwriter came up with that scenario. It was a little too smooth to be real.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.