Monday, September 23, 2013

Yesterday was glorious!

I posted about what we did yesterday on my travel blog.  Bill has a friend whose wife is an artist and works for Novica.com.  She was showing her art at the Hill Country Art Festival being held at a winery.  We had nothing better to do, so we decided to go out to Comfort, Texas and check out her art and maybe taste some wines.  First, we went to the commissary and picked up some groceries.  I've taken to using coupons that come in the free weekly paper we get.  So far, we've saved about $15 by using coupons, which I put in our savings account.  It's not much, but you gotta start somewhere, right?

The weather was absolutely perfect.  I was able to put the top down on the MINI and we drove out to Hill Country, which is really beautiful, especially when compared to where we're living.  We tasted wine at the Singing Water Winery, which is very military friendly, then moved on to Bending Branch Winery.

While we were sitting at the counter, tasting wines and listening to music by Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss, and Glen Campbell (what I could remember anyway), I could tell Bill was having a really good time.  We tasted one really lovely and special wine put out by the winery in honor of the owners' daughter and granddaughter named Chloe.

I looked over at Bill and he was getting emotional.  I asked him what was up and he said he was just having such a good time and it meant so much to him that he could enjoy a Sunday at a winery, listening to music, and being with someone who supports him in the things he enjoys doing.  He said his life had been unbalanced and it had taken him about 40 years to start enjoying himself.  There's more to life than work.  Bill said, "I never would have done something like this if it weren't for you."  He wouldn't have bothered exploring wineries by himself and he definitely wouldn't have done it with Ex.  Even in their pre-LDS years, Ex didn't have an appreciation for such things.

One thing I've come to realize is that a successful marriage has to be a partnership with both people working for a common goal.  It's not one person is a slave for the other person.  You have to share the load and you have to do things together that are mutually fun.  You have to enjoy being together.

We don't have kids, so that simplifies our lives a lot.

After we got home from our wine tastings, I took a very short dip in the pool.  The weather was perfect yesterday, but that made the pool a bit on the cold side.  I got wet, then sat out on the patio with Bill and played with Zane and Arran.  We had a nice dinner and conversation, then went to bed.  At about 2:30 this morning, I woke up to pee and poor Bill was on the edge of the mattress because the dogs had hogged the middle of the bed.

I woke him up and said, "You're about to fall off the bed."  He thanked me and squirmed his way back over.  This morning, as he handed me a cup of coffee, he thanked me for not letting him fall out of bed!

Looks like the weather today will also be perfect.  Maybe I'll cut the grass so Bill doesn't have to do it.

This past weekend was great.  I hope we can do it again.







        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.