Friday, September 27, 2013

My third temporary crown...

So I went back to the dentist's office today and explained, in a nice way, that the lady who made my temporary crown yesterday seemed a bit rushed.  The crown didn't cover the whole tooth and while it wasn't really sensitive or painful, I feared the shoddy crown might not be good for the month we're waiting for my permanent crown.  What's more, the temporary crown was a little too long on the inside and had an edge that my tongue kept catching on.

The dental assistant removed my temporary crown and then the dentist, who I think is pretty awesome, came in and personally made me a new temporary crown that is just perfect.  I told her that yesterday's assistant was very nice, but she seemed to be in a big rush.  I knew it was close to lunch time and actually heard her stomach rumble (though I didn't mention this).  I had been in the chair for a couple of hours and I'm sure she just wanted to send me on my way.  I can't blame her for that.  But I have to say, the difference in quality between the crown she made and the one the dentist made is remarkable.

The dentist then asked me what I thought of 50 Shades of Grey.  In all honesty, I haven't read that book yet... and kind of wasn't planning to.  The dentist says the writing is abysmal.  LOL... maybe I should read it after all, so I can post a scathing review!  Truly, one of the best kinky novels I've ever read was 9 1/2 Weeks by Elizabeth MacNeill.  I bought my copy of that book in St. Polten, Austria, and it helped me pass several boring hours.   It was later turned into a horrible movie starring Mickey Rourke.  I recently read his ex wife's memoir, which paints Rourke as a bastard to the extreme.  But besides being a bastard, Mickey Rourke sucked in 9 1/2 Weeks, and not in a good way.

Anyway, because I had to come back, they're giving me $50 off my next crown.  That's a nice thing.  I wasn't expecting that at all.

Yesterday, as I was waiting for the dentist, a kid who had apparently just had dental surgery was there with his parents.  His parents appeared to be divorced.  Mom was outside with her phone while dad was inside, dealing with the dental office staff.  They appeared to be a mismatched couple.  Mom was kind of short and dumpy, while dad was tall, irritable, and appeared to be some kind of medical professional.  The boy was very loopy and came into the office wearing what appeared to be a woman's sweater.  He had stickers on his bare chest where they had put monitors.  I could see that he had a catheter from where he'd had an IV, too...  He was a nice kid.  Came up to me and told me why he hadn't been allowed to eat since midnight the night before.  I just agreed with him.  His father looked annoyed while mom couldn't be bothered.  Poor kid.  I hope he's doing okay today.

I feel confident that I won't need to go back to the dentist before my new crown is all ready for me.  This one was built to last.

5 comments:

  1. I feel really sorry for that poor boy. Lots of people would love to have a boy just like him, but his parents seem as if they'd rather not be bothered. Granted, it was a snapshot of their lives, but probably a fairly telling one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... I kept looking at him and wondering why his mom wasn't hugging him and doting on him. But then, my own mom wouldn't have bothered in the same situation. He was a nice kid. I hope his surgery went well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents, faults and all, would have been hovering over me in that situation. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing, but i wouldn't have been left to fend for myself while my mom talked on her cell phone to someone.

    I hope your crowns work out. I haven't had dental work escept cleanings and sealants applied. I haven't even had braces. I won't need them unless my second set of molars throws off the spacing of my teeth. I don't have wosdo teeth. my dad says it's very fitting that I don't have wisdom teeth.My mom doesn't have any, either, though, and she's just as smart as he is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was rather impressive that they were both there with the kid. When I was a kid, it was always my mom who dealt with the few rare medical or dental issues I had. I did get a lot of fillings as a kid because I didn't take care of my teeth very well when I was a child. I did have braces on my top teeth for about ten months. I didn't really need them. They were intended to close a gap that ended up coming back.

      I did start taking much better care of my teeth once I had braces, though. I had ceramic ones that you couldn't see from a distance.

      Delete
  4. I do have that baby tooth issue tha you havem thogh. It's the first bicuspid, I think -- the one right after the canines. All four are baby teeth with non permanents under them.Mo mom has the same issue and is losing them one at a time to cracks.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.