Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Ms. Overly Helpful strikes again...

A couple of days ago, I posted this...

A guy we met on our SeaDream cruise made a video starring everybody.  He posted it at an unlisted address on YouTube and invited us to watch parts of it with the understanding that the video was for our eyes only.  Given the fact that this guy and his wife are so private, it surprises me a bit that it never occurred to him that perhaps his fellow SeaDreamers might not want to be in a YouTube video, unlisted or not.  But I digress.

Anyway, I went to my usual favorite message board to vent a bit.  I suppose I should have known better, but Ms. Overly Helpful has been behaving herself lately.  I naively thought the trend might continue.  So I vented a bit, enjoyed a few days of civil conversation with a couple of friends and then the subject seemed to die.  Until today.

Ms. Overly Helpful, who fancies herself The Voice of Reason, chimed in to tell me that perhaps I'd misjudged the situation.  She said she had to read my post twice to understand it completely.  Then she commented that many people like to see photos of themselves and maybe he was just being accommodating.  She made the brilliant observation that no one was forcing me to view the photos. Then she suggested I simply thank him and then delete the email.

I'll be honest.  My first instinct was to rip off Ms. Overly Helpful's head and shit down her neck.  But I gradually managed to temper myself enough to explain that the SeaDream dude had already sent me unsolicited photos which I thanked him for and then deleted.  This time, he had sent me an invitation to view his YouTube video.  He didn't include the links in the email, so it was not a matter of just saying thanks and then ignoring the videos.  I was requested to respond.

I tried to be subtle by telling the guy that my husband and I don't enjoy seeing ourselves on film.  That's the truth, after all.  I'd rather not be reminded of what time and too much beer has done to my body.  But SeaDream dude was apparently confused by that response-- which to me was pretty damn obvious.  So I had to be much more direct by saying, "No, we don't want to see your video, but thanks anyway."

Clear enough, Ms. Overly Helpful?

I went on to explain that I had already taken action based on my actual in person interactions with this guy and our email correspondence before I posted about it on our forum.  While it is possible that I misjudged the situation or overreacted, I don't think I did.  And even if I did overreact or misjudge, there's nothing I can do about it now.

I have to admit, Ms. Overly Helpful really grinds my gears.  I know I should be more laid back and ignore her... the way she advised me to ignore SeaDream dude.  But she just can't resist chiming in with her helpful brand of bullshit whenever she thinks I need to be set straight.  And she comes across as condescending and obnoxious.  I try my best not to engage her.  I rarely respond to most of the things she posts.  Why does she have to offer me "special help" all the time?

Maybe next time, I should be more direct with her and suggest she go screw herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.